Thursday, March 14, 2013

A finish and a roadblock

PART I:  The Finish:

I finished the baby quilt that I am making for my grandniece Lauren!  This quilt caused all sorts of problems because I wanted the butterflies in the center (a Laurel Burch design) but nothing that I bought or had would cooperate and make the borders, even more Laurel Burch fabric!  Finally I found this Stonehenge fabric that did the job, but I felt that it needed a bit of pizazz in the corner blocks, so I fused some butterflies from the center fabric and FMQed around them with gold thread.


 I did the binding with a new tool called The Quilter's Boot (I bought it at Sew Expo but it is available online and at Pacific Fabrics in Seattle area.) After struggling with it for a while, it did work wonderfully for the fourth corner, so I am calling it a good thing. I like mitered bindings front and back, and this tool does it nicely (once you figure it out--go to youtube and search for the Quilter's Boot--the video is very helpful.)




The back is the Pacific Fabrics brand of Minkee with one layer of flannel in the middle.  I followed the recommendations found in Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine for working with the minkee-type fabrics and starched it heavily.  It was the first time I worked with this type of fabric and I didn't love how it felt going through my machine.  It has a nap, so it fought me sometimes.  One thing to note, you don't have to quilt it very much and so I only did  a zigzag in the purple borders.  But then it looked sort of wrinkly so I stitched in the ditch all around the borders and the pink border as well.  Not as fun as FMQ!

PART II:  The Roadblock

I started gathering things to install my design wall.


Footstool, level, t-square, hammer, box cutter and stud finder
 

Then found out that the stud finder needed a 9 volt battery to work.  I tried to find one in all of the battery operated things around here, but no luck.  Since I already have to go to Home Depot to get some nails, I will get the battery as well.  Oh, well, one finish is a good thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment