Saturday, March 23, 2013

How to maintain piecing order for your rows

I wanted to start piecing the charms baby quilt for my daughter-in-law's sister's baby.  I had spent a looooong time arranging the little charms and half-charms in a sequence and didn't want to lose that sequence.  So I saw a new roll of masking tape sitting on the table and decided to try something new.
on my design wall
on my sewing table

Lined up ready to sew.  Note the scrap of fabric pinned to the block that will go at the left of the line (so I don't get confused!)
 
I used a "thread bunny" (a scrap of folded fabric as a leader and ender) so I wouldn't have to cut threads each time I needed the recently sewn block for the next seam.

The finished rows:


Now I just have to add borders top and bottom and the strips between these colorful rows and I am ready to sandwich and FMQ.  I bought matching Moda Ticklish fabric and plan to FMQ from the back using the pattern of the fabric as a guide.  That will be the next blog posting, and soon, I hope!



2 comments:

  1. Clever idea. I use pegs and a piece of paper with a number on it to help remind me of the number order of a strip. Did the masking tape leave a sticky residue at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finishing this! I love the MOda Ticklish line - Me and My Sister always have such fun fabric!

    ReplyDelete